Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cy Twombly


Cy Twombly a.k.a. Edwin Parker Twombly Jr. was born on April 25th, 1928 [Taurus], and died some weeks after his exhibition started on the MoMA, July 5th, 2011. He was born in Lexington, VA and in 1957, when he was 29 years old, he moved to Rome where he met Tatiana Franchetti - and married her in New York 2 years later. 

He calls himself "Cy" after his father, who has this name, a baseball pitcher. 


He is well-known for his large, graffitti-like, "scribbly", free, and caligraphic styled work. Its a mix between a drawing and a painting, and his titles are always interpreted visually through shapes, forms and words. 

"When I work, I work very fast, but preparing to work can take any length of time."

"My line is childlike but not childish. It is very difficult to fake.. to get that quality you need to project yourself into the child's line. It has to be felt."

Cy's painting began as non-figurative and soon transformed into "romantic symbolism". 
He has a son, who's also a painter, and is now living in Rome - Cyrus Alessandro Twombly

I still didn't get the opportunity to see him at the MoMA, but I've seen him before somewhere, I think it was at the Whitney. 

Cy Twombly is at the MoMA until January 2nd, 2012. 

Here follows an interesting article I found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment