Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Scopophilia" by Nan Goldin

From October 29th - December 23rd
522 West 22nd St.

Scopophilia: "Love of Looking"

Nan Goldin, my favorite photographer/idol, went to the Louvre and took 400 photographs of paintings and sculptures. From that, she selected some of her own photographs, and compared them in an amazingly beautiful 25 minute slide-show installation. [Note: Beautiful music!] She compared all the photographs through body & shape, light, mood, and style - and placed them together. 

I got a text message that day (on a new phone, so I had no idea who the angel was): "Nan Goldin will have her opening tonight at Matthew Marks Gallery!". I couldn't believe it. I was finally going to see her! 

Unfortunately I went alone (which makes me shy and vulnerable).. I watched the installation twice, had a wine in the gallery, and waited having my cigarette, since I know she also enjoys smoking. From when I went inside for the 2nd time to watch the slide-show, to when I left, the gallery was packed, and they were only serving water! I walked around the gallery to see the prints again, when suddenly I see some crazy white boots and some wild red hair. THERE SHE WAS. 

I thought I would go crazy and have an anxiety attack, but her presence just made me feel light and calm. 

I stopped and just starred at her for a good 30 minutes (Yes! She looked at me and probably noticed the stalker I am). I watched everyone approaching her, telling her things. I couldn't move. She had a glass of wine in one hand, and a cigarette on the other, and she simply lit her cigarette right there! (My hero!) 

A few minutes later, I turn around and I bump into Terry Richardson, my other favorite photographer.. He was humble, the show wasn't for him.. I watched him going up to Nan Goldin, and asking her if he could photograph her for his blog. I'm a follower of his blog, I actually did one for me, (which I will announce by the end of this year), and the photograph is finally online.

Photograph in Terry's Diary.com

On the first day that I don't carry any kind of camera in my bag, this happens to me. So, maybe I shouldn't carry any more cameras? 

Her new photographs were beautiful. For the first time, there were MEN as subjects, (besides David Armstrong, her Ex, or Drag Queens), and that really intrigued me. 

The crowd was beautiful and colorful, and Kiki Smith also went to see her!

What a night! October 29th, unforgettable! 

Special Thanks: Allen Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment